Chinese Dramas (and Motion Pictures)
Ideas for Possible Future Viewing
In Progress (8/29/2020)
- My Unicorn Girl
Year 5: March 15, 2017-March 14, 2018
- Nirvana in Fire = 琅琊榜. Finally found a Chinese Drama that I like—even understood an occasional Mandarin word/phrase! Historical (fictional?) Chinese drama, a whopping 54 episodes long. Difficult to "get into" because of the challenges of so many characters with similar names and looks. Uncertain if/when I'll ever watch another CDrama? Watched final episode on 5/1/2017 on @Viki. (Also watched some episodes on @DramaFever.) It took 4-5 months to finish all the episodes.
Year 6: March 15, 2018-March 14, 2019
- The Disguiser = 伪装者. Historical drama that takes place mainly in the late 1930's in Shanghai and elsewhere in China. It shows how the Japanese occupation of China lead to the Kuomintang (Nationalist China) and the Chinese Communist Party. Watched final episode 29 Aug 2018, on Viki. The final episode was rather lame, but I liked the other episodes.
- Ever Night = 将夜. Fictional fantasy set during the Tang Dynasty (A.D. 618-907), showing interactions with the Yan Kingdom and the Xiling Immortal Shrine. 61 episodes. Personally watched first 16 episodes (numbered 1–15 with added "12:Special" episode) and episodes 49–60. (Wife watched and summarized for me episodes 16–48). Finished episode 60 on Viki on 14 Feb 2019.
- Wandering Earth. Feature movie about earthlings trying to move earth from its orbit in order to move it away from an expanding sun. On Netflix 26 May 2019. (I slept through most of this, but still "got" most of the plot.)
Year 7: March 15, 2019–March 14, 2020
- Railroad Tigers. Movie about Chinese insurgents fighting the Japanese invaders. They succeed in blowing up a railroad bridge. On Netflix 24 January 2020 (Chinese New Year's Eve)
Year 8: March 15, 2020–March 14, 2021
- The Romance of Tiger and Rose. A modern-day woman writes a script for a drama about two historical cities—one matriarchal and the other patriarchal. Then she finds herself as the principal female lead in that drama, ... but it isn't going by the script! Was it all a dream, I wonder? Watched last episode on Viki 27 Jun 2020. This one turned out to be the best Chinese Drama I can remember.
- My Roommate is a Detective. About life in Shanghai during the 1920's when England, France (and America?) had areas known as "concessions." Finished on 29 Jun 2020 on Viki.
- Le Coup de Foudre = 我只喜欢你. [French for "Clap of thunder." I like only you.] High school students realize that they really love each other some years later (after one of them goes to school in England before running a tech startup, another becomes a doctor, another becomes an author, and yet another becomes a TV announcer, etc.) Finished 6 Aug 2020. 35 episodes on Viki.
- My Amazing Boyfriend (China). Tried unsuccessfully to stay awake through nearly two episodes. Finally gave up 5/11/2016.
- Murphy's Law of Love (Taiwan). Couldn't make it through the first episode. 7/2/16
- Love O2O. Slept through episode 1 on 12/24/2016. Video game-related.
- Ice Fantasy. Watched one episode.
- When a Snail Falls in Love
- Fight Break Sphere
- Arsenal Military Academy (Oct 2019). Abandoned after one episode where a woman had a physical to get into the all-male army in a room where many other males were present. She passed the physical and joined the army as a male. That was too unbelievable for me.